Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Election Time

Here in Mexico its getting to be election time.  They have primaries this month (March) and then the real vote is sometime during June or July.  I'm actually embarrassed that I don't remember the exact dates because of the sheer volume of times I have seen the commercials.  

Anyway, what strikes me as interesting about said commercials is that they aren't like the ones we have here in the US.  There are commercials from both of the major political parties - the PRI and the PAN, but then a lot of the commercials are just very general commercials telling people to vote.

And when I say general, I mean very general commercials.  Most consist of people instructing you to think about it and then vote, or to weigh the options and then vote.  Oh, and they usually repeat the dates several times for registering and for voting. 

I think I like these type of ads a little more.  While I don't know a single candidate, I also don't know their icky past, their flip-flop voting patterns, or their love scandals.  I think that maybe we should take page out of this book come 2012.

My Lesson of the Day: This is more a question than a lesson, but: I wonder how differently we might vote if we didn't have to sift through the negative ads.

No comments: