Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Thursday, March 19, 2009

I hate saying goodbye! (and packing my suitcase)

It has finally hit me that my time here in Merida has come to an end.  All of the other OU students have left and my roommate leaves tomorrow, making me the only one left from the program still in Merida.  I realize that Sunday will be here before I know it so I have already started packing my suitcases, which is perhaps the worst part of leaving.  Do you know how hard it is to try to pack up the life that you are living and fit it into two suitcases weighing less than 50 pounds?  My only advantage here is that they weigh things in kilos, not pounds.  Therefore my suitcase is allowed to be 23 kilos, which is technically 50.6 pounds.  I need every bit of help I can get!

I have very mixed feelings about leaving.  On one hand I am very sad to leave this country and all my friends here, but on the other hand I am a little relieved to be coming back to the United States and to my family and friends there.  I feel like I've gotten to see a lot more of Mexico this year and while there are things I will miss, there are also things that I'm happy to get away from.  

One of the things I will miss the most is working here.  I feel like it has been a such a good experience and that it has really helped me understand everything better here.  Tonight I have my despedida, a little goodbye party that my friends from work are having.  I'm going to miss them all a lot but I'm excited to celebrate with them before leaving.

My Lesson of the Day: Goodbyes are very bittersweet

No comments: