Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Monday, February 16, 2009

Do spanish pirates say arrggh too?

I'll start off with one of the most exciting parts of my weekend: The Lorencillo.  We went to Campeche, a city about 2 hours west of Merida.  As we walked around the Centro of the city, I came across a little advertisement for the Lorencillo, a pirate ship that takes short trips out into the Gulf of Mexico.

Having seen my fair share of Pirates of the Caribbean, I knew this was something I didn't want to miss out on, so we quickly called up and got on the 5'o'clock trip.

Although I think the pictures give an accurate depiction, they don't capture the pirates of the caribbean soundtrack that went on in the
 background. Yes, this was an experience straight out of the movie, or a least a top-rate ride at Disney.

The hour long boat ride was a lot of fun.  Not only did we get to pretend to sail the boat, we also got to drink rum and watch a fake sword fight.  After the sword fight, the performers - or shall I say pirates - broke out into a salsa performance (I think this might be where we differed from the movie).  We all got to join in and there we were, dancing aboard a pirates ship as we sailed off
 into the sunset.  It would have been a very romantic Valentine's Day had I not been there with my roommate.

My Lesson of the Day: Sailing pirate ships and rum make for a sloppy salsa dance.

No comments: