Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

A long weekend in the jungle

I don't even know where to begin to describe my long weekend in the state of Chiapas.  I guess I'll just start with the beginning: Friday night.  We decided to leave at 11:50 pm to make the 8 hour bus ride to Palenque.  

First we took a bus to the centro and from there we decided to get a taxi to the bus station.  But we didn't take just any old taxi, we decided to take one of the traditional horse drawn calesas that they have down in the centro.  There really isn't anything like pulling up to the bus station at 11pm in a horse drawn carriage.  Despite the weird looks, we headed off to get our tickets.

One of the things I have learned about traveling by bus here in Mexico is that nothing can just be easy.  After fighting for a while to get the tickets we were on a bus traveling to Palenque with a group of 15 americans.  I was a little nervous about traveling with such a large group, but not worried enough to keep me from sleeping on the bus.

My Lesson of the Day:  Overnight buses = one less hotel room to pay for 

No comments: