Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Friday, February 27, 2009

San Cristobal de las Casas

We arrived to San Cristobal de las Casas on Sunday evening, right as the sun was going down.  It was a very quaint city tucked in the middle of all the mountains.  The colorful houses all had red tile roofs that had weathered with age and the streets were alive with the hustle and bustle of people.  We walked around the main avenue and the first thing I did was buy a poncho because it was so cold.  Everyone from here in the Yucatan warned me that it would be cold, but they also think that winters here in Merida are cold, so I didn't really believe them.  

After warming up we walked around the city some, got dinner and went out for drinks.

The next day we woke up early in the morning to go to the bus station because I decided that I wanted to stay in San Cristobal an extra day.  One out of the other 15 people there decided to stay with me so the two of us changed our tickets and then went to the market to get some food.

After meeting up with everyone again we went out to the Canon del Sumidero where we went on a boat ride down a river.  The river was surrounded by the huge walls of the canon and it was a beautiful cruise.  We also got a chance to see some wildlife.  In total we saw 4 crocodiles and yes, we even saw a monkey!

My Lesson of the Day: Day 3 and finally we had our monkey spotting.

No comments: