Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Number 5: Because you only live once

Last year, while I was living here in Mexico, my motto was "well, this is the only time I'll be living here, so lets do it"  

Obviously, that motto has been disproved by me living here this winter for time number two.  So this year, my motto has become a little more sophisticated (as have I ;)).  It is now, "well, you only live once."  I would like to see that motto proven wrong!  

So anyways, I wanted Dave to be able to see what I mean by "You only live once."  I had to think of something good.  Something that neither one of us has ever done before and most likely will never do again.  And I found it:  Feeding the sharks.

While we were in Cancun I noticed in a guidebook an advertisement for feeding sharks at a local aquarium.  I knew that this would be a perfect opportunity so we headed off to the aquarium to get started.

Once we payed and heard a little more about the adventure, they handed us our wetsuits and we got ready.  We stepped into a huge plexi-glass box that they then lowered into the shark tank.  There were several slits and holes in the side of the cage so we could put the food out through the holes. 

As we were down there, the guide was telling me the names of the various sharks in spanish and I was playing translator.  With every shark name that I translated to Dave his eyes got a little bit bigger.  Unlike me, Dave actually knows a thing or two about sharks, and he informed me that the sharks we were feeding were some of the most dangerous sharks.  (This is something you might want to find out before you are stuck in a glass box in the middle of a shark tank!)

Anyways, it was an amazing experience being able to feed the sharks and something I will remember for the rest of my life!

My Lesson of the Day: While I have always been against the whole vacationing-in-Cancun thing, I ended up having a once-in-a-lifetime experience!  One point for Cancun.

No comments: