Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Friday, February 20, 2009

My Sales Career

Yesterday I didn't really have anything to do at work so I decided to help with something new: sales.  Now I've never really pictured myself as a saleswoman, let alone a Mexican saleswoman, but I figured I'd give it a shot.  My boss decided that I should call up bilingual schools and schools that taught english, so I could at least I could have the option of defaulting to english if I was really having trouble in spanish.  

Now talking on the phone here makes things a little bit more difficult, but I figured there was no better way to face my fear than by calling school after school after school.

I wish this is the part where I tell you that I sold something, but I didn't - not one single thing.  I think I got pretty close today though.  While I'm probably going to try to stick it out and go at it again, I think this has proven that I'm just not cut out to be a saleswoman.

On another note, I need to get going to go pack my suitcase.  Tonight we're catching the last bus, which leaves at 11:50 and spending a good 8 hours to Palenque.  Palanque is a big ruins site situated in the state of Chiapas, which is in southern Mexico.  I've heard a lot of good things about Palanque and I think this is going to be a pretty good trip.  

Thanks to Carnival I don't have to work Monday or Tuesday so our extended weekend will hopefully also include Agua Azul, Misol-Ha and San Cristobal, but I'll tell you more about those when I get back from this weekend.

My Lesson of the Day: Talking on the phone isn't so bad, but the selling part is.

No comments: