Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Friday, January 30, 2009

As if speaking in spanish wasn't enough

Working here in Mexico has been an experience.  The office that I work in has two modes: empty and chaotic.  I'm not really complaining, though.  I really do like working in the office and its always an interesting experience.

Today, for example, we were talking about music and one of the guys I work with, Rafa, was telling me spanish songs to look up on YouTube.  This song search quickly escalated into me having to sing a song in spanish, because as they put it, "I said I wanted to practice my spanish."  So the deal was that if we sung a duet in spanish, I got to pick out a song for us to sing in english.

Now I love listening to them speak english with their very heavy spanish accents, so I agreed.  I wasn't exactly sure if this was a solid deal until he looked up the lyrics and printed them out for me to "practice."

So then he proceeded to tell me I had to practice and sing in front of the other 5 people in the office.  I have a theory that they have become less amused with just hearing my broken spanish so now they are going to make me sing it.

So we sang our duet, well we "practiced," and they actually said I was a good singer, even though I refuse to believe it.  But I learned a new word in spanish: tone deaf.  (tonifique sordo)

My Lesson of the Day: The key to learning a new language in another country is simple:  no shame.

P.S.  I'm off for another weekend adventure in the Yucatan.  Can't wait to write all about it on Monday!

No comments: