Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Did I mention that I love my job?

I know I mentioned last week that I began working for gente bien, but I don't think I really talked too much about what I'm doing or really what the magazine is about.

The magazine is all about the social circles here in Mérida.  The classes here are not like those in the US, by any means.  In the US we clearly have disparities in wealth, but I feel like almost 80% of us fit into the category of "middle class."  Here, the disparities in wealth are very clear.  The higher classes live in the modern north side of the city, which is where my house is located.  Driving around this part of the city is much like driving down a road somewhere in America.  The north is covered with American fast food chains, shopping malls, car dealerships, clubs and restaurants.  While the north still isn't quite as modernized as many of our American cities, its pretty close. 

Then there is the south side of the city.  This is where many of the lower classes tend to live.  Traveling to the south side is like traveling to a whole different city.  The car dealerships, restaurants and clubs are replaced by smaller houses, more people and more poverty.

This disparity of wealth is clearly known to the different levels of society here.  As my boss described to me, the Gente Bien magazine covers classes A, B and C+.  And it only covers private parties and events.  I wasn't sure exactly how I felt about this when I first started.  I didn't want to be lumped in as a fresa (literally the word means strawberry, but its also how they describe rich people).  However, I have realized that there are some big perks to working for an upper-class magazine.  Take last night, for example.

Yesterday was the opening of a new, very posh restaurant called Buddha-Wok.  My boss brought it up yesterday and asked if I would like to join, because Gente Bien was shooting the event for our next issue.  I of course accepted because I wanted to see what working an event was like.  They told me to be bien vestido (well dressed).

So at 7, one of my coworkers Mike came by and picked me up.  We headed to the restaurant shortly after.  The restaurant was very padre (cool).  It was one of the nicest restaurants I've been to.  There were about 7 coworkers there at the time.  Two were taking photos and I hung out with the rest.  I tagged along with my boss as he introduced to many people, not one of whom I can remember their name.  Then he said, lets go to the bar.

Not being one to disobey orders, we all headed to the bar.  I watched the cutting of the ribbon, done by the governor of the Yucatan, and then we passed the rest of the night getting drinks and being fed amazing food.  If this is what its like to be a fresa, sign me up!  I don't think I'll mind being a fresa every now and then.

Needless to say, I had an amazing time.  While I can often get confused or bogged down at work, I must say that I do love my job. 

My Lesson of the Day: Your only as fresa as you want to be. 

No comments: