Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My night in the hamaca

As if you needed further proof of my transformation into a Yucateco, last night I slept in a hammock.  It was something that I'd been wanting to do since last year, but I  never got the chance to.  And not only did I sleep in a hammock the whole night, but I also managed to do so without falling out.

The hammock is as much Yucatecan as rice and beans.  Just about everyone here has spent their fare share of nights in a hammock.  In fact, when I told one of my friends here that I was really excited to sleep in one, he looked at me like I was crazy.  It was as if I told him I had never learned to use a fork.  

My friend was not alone in that sense.  I have been hearing about how great hammocks are since last year.  And my papá slept in one every night.  So of course, I wanted to see for myself just how great it was.

I must say it was pretty comfortable and much cooler than sleeping in a bed.  I can see why they come in handy during hot nights here in Merida.  The only problem was that I felt a little weird bringing my pillow and my covers into a hammock with me.  I guess I'll have to ask around and make sure thats the way your supposed to do it.

But my night in the hammock went so well, that I think I'll do it again sometime - maybe even tonight.  And I'm starting to think about purchasing one so you can all see for yourselves just how comfortable they are.  By the way, if you are looking to buy a hammock, Merida is the place to come.  They are known here for their excellently woven, colorful hammocks.  I'm starting to think that I wouldn't be a true Yucateco if i didn't buy one for myself!

My lesson of the Day: Hammocks easily fit into suitcases and are perfect mementos from Merida. 

No comments: