Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Friday, January 9, 2009

Tiburone: a man, a mission, a landshark

Tiburone. In english it has just one meaning: shark.  But here in mexico, there are many tiburones that live out of the water.  A tiburone is what they call a man a who is after the ladies.  I remember last year when I was warned about them.  I thought - how bad could it be?  But its hard to describe in english just what a tiburone is.  

In mexico, he's the guy that you see at the club with his button down shirt undone, flaunting his chest hair as he dances on the nearest couch.  He's the guy that tells you your beautiful before ever asking your name.  He's the guy that wants to teach you how to dance salsa, even though you doubt that he knows how to.  He's the guy thats hitting on you and somehow is managing to hit on your friend at the same time.

I forgot just how funny these tiburones can be.  But it all came back to me quickly when we were at the club last night.  But I have to admit, the tiburone has become a person that I love to hate.  And life here just wouldn't be the same without them.  Nor the clubs as entertaining.

My lesson of the day: Whether in the sea or on the land, sharks can be dangerous.  But it just wouldn't be the same without them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i could not have been laughing harder at your description on a tibron, but you forgot to mention that he also likes to sport a gold chain!
miss you love you.