Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Domingo en las Ruinas (Sunday at the Ruins)

On Sunday Carolyn and I checked out of our jail cell and made our first destination Kabah, a Mayan ruins site.  It is located on the Ruta Puc along with several other sites like Uxmal, Sayil and Labna.  Last year we went to the other three sites, but for some reason skipped the fourth, so we were on a mission to complete the Ruta Puc.

We got to Kabah and I was impressed.  The site was a decent size and it was nice to be able to go along and explore at our own pace - no guide, no tour group.  The site is known
 for a big building, named Codz Poop, that is dedicated to Chac, the rain god.  The whole facade of the building is decorated with ornate carvings of the rain god's face.  Even though the carvings have existed for thousands of years, they were still pretty ornate and I was excited to see such ornate details. 

After Kabah we headed to a town called Muna and then home to Merida for a little time with the family.  My mama's whole family comes over every Sunday to spend time together.  It was nice to get to see all of them. 

Then we headed off to mass.  I walked into church and guess who I saw?  None other than my mama and papa from last year.  I don't think they recognized me at first, but I went over to say hello and they were just as shocked to see me as I was to see them.  It was really good to see them again and they send their hellos to all of my family.  They said that they think of my family's visit often and keep everyone in their prayers.  They were especially interested to hear more about how Anna, Will, Aunt Debbie, Uncle Ernie, Mom and Dad were doing. 

My Lesson of the Day: Sometimes people show up when your least expecting them.


2 comments:

Mom said...

Em, The Poop ruins sounded like some place we might have enjoyed since it wasn't so touristy. Would have been worried about Ern getting lost though.
Please tell Mama and Papa we say hello and still talk about our visit to their home and their city. Great vacation! Love mom

Aunt Debbie said...

Hola Emily! I'm so glad you saw mama and papa. I guess Merida is like a small town, you were bound to run into them. Please give them our saludos, and abrazos next time. Enjoying your blog tremendously. You and Carolyn are having some great adventures! Aunt Debbie