Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Saturday, January 10, 2009

I hope the brakes are working

For the most part, I´ve noticed that the mexian people are generally a relaxed and tranquilo people. Being on time is never really a major issue, in fact, arriving late is more fashionable. This transcends into many aspects of their lives, with one major exception: driving.

I have to admit I have said my fare share of prayers while riding in a car. And I have never, ever wanted to get behind the wheel of any car here. From what I have experienced, speed limits are pretty much useless. As are stop signs, turn signals, lanes, the shoulder of the highway and seatbelts. (Don´t worry mom, I always wear mine!)

With my new job, my coworkers have been nice enough to take me home everyday. And I really appreciate not having to walk 20 blocks home. But sometimes I think it would be better on my nerves if I did. It´s not because they are bad drivers, but its because everyone here just drives like a madman. And let me tell you, I have seen some serious road rage.

However, its not the rides with my coworkers that have brought me to talk about this topic today. Instead it was the 5 hour car ride I took yesterday.

We decided that we wanted to go to Playa del Carmen, a city located in the middle of the Costa Maya. Its a beautiful place, with a great beach. It also happens to be the home of Miguel, my Mama´s daughter´s husband. (Did I loose you on that one?)

Anyways, Miguel was in town for a visit and said that he could take us to Playa with him. So my roommate and I, the two girls next door, Margarita and Miguel all decided to leave yesterday around 4:30. If you happen to be keeping count, yes, there are 6 of us that are going to fit into his midsized honda for a 5 hour car ride. And that was just to start off the trip.

Once we all fit inside, we took off. And let me just tell you that 80 year old Miguel is one of your classic Mexican drivers. He drove down the middle of the road just about all of the way to Playa. That didn´t bother me too much until our two-lane highway turned into a one-lane highway. When your driving down the middle of the road - with your brights on - and there is oncoming traffic, it tends to scare me a little. However, my favorite part was when I looked up and realized that we were driving in the shoulder of the highway, just like it was another lane. I felt like I was trapped in the Mexican version of National Lampoon´s Vacation. Needless to say, I didn´t get any rest in the car.

I hope you don´t get the wrong impression of Miguel, however. He and Maragarita have been nothing but nice this weekend. We are staying in Miguels apartment, they have cooked us every meal and I´m even using his computer to type this right now. I´m very thankful for all of their help. It has been a great weekend so far. We spent all day on the beach today and the nightlife has been fun as well.

But when we return to Merida tomorrow, we will be doing so on a bus!

My Lesson of the Day: 6 people + 5 hours - 1 seat = one very long car ride.

No comments: