Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Just when I was getting comfortable

I thought I was finally getting comfortable at work until yesterday when my boss asked me to do something completely ridiculous: make a phone call.

Now speaking spanish isn't easy, but when you're doing it face to face, I can manage.  But talking on the phone in spanish is a whole different story.  So finally I gathered up my courage and decided to just go for it.  I mean all I had to say was, 

Hi this is emily, I'm working for gente bien and i'm calling because Roberto (my boss) wanted to talk to them.

Easy right?  Well I think I stressed out over that phone call for a good five minutes.  But it all went well, thank god.   I just hope they don't expect me to use a phone again any time soon.

My Lesson of the Day: Nothing makes me more uncomfortable than talking to a Mexican on the telephone.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I am thinking that you now have an idea of what we feel like when we have to call you in Mexico, only I stress out way longer because I know no spanish after may i speak with emily please. Love Mom