Bienvenido!

Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog!  I set this up in hopes of corresponding between my friends and family in the U.S. while I study abroad in Merida, Mexico.  I hope to give you a little piece of the fascinating culture and lifestyle of the people in Merida. Please come back again soon and check for daily updates while I am abroad!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Toto, I don't think we're in Ohio anymore

I decided to walk home from work today because I figured a little exercise and some sun couldn't hurt.  On my walks to and from work, I often get lost in my own thoughts and forget that I'm walking down a street in Mexico.  I think its because my walk home is along a busy road with lots of cars and lots of activity going on - very normal beechmont avenue.

And then something comes along to remind me that I am not in Ohio anymore.  Today for example, that thing happened to be two horse drawn carts traveling down the road.  These carts were straight off the farm carts, hauling grains and traveling down the middle of the road in between all the cars.  If it isn't enough to have the pleasure of seeing these two horse drawn carts, the three teenage boys driving them decided to stop and ask if I wanted a ride.  Now as much as I wanted to say yes and arrive to the house amid a pile of grains, I had to decline and walk the rest of the way.

It kind of makes me wonder though, is it a bad sign when a horse drawn cart is a step up?

My Lesson of the Day: Just when I'm starting to forget, something always comes along to remind me that I'm not in Ohio anymore!

No comments: